Happy Saturday, everyone! We’ve reached the end of another week. Today I’m going to, once again, wrap up my week, including notes about my personal life, blog posts/book reviews, reading updates, book acquisitions (if any), and comic book acquisitions and reading progress.
This has been a really different week. My wife has still been on vacation, and we took a small trip for a couple days since she had to travel to take a certification test for work (some vacation right?). We were only gone for two nights, but it felt like forever since we haven’t gone anywhere in the last year and a half. It was fun, but also quite strange, to travel again. We visited multiple bookstores, and you’ll get to see the result of that below. We also spent some time at the Rose Garden in Tyler, TX, which was a peaceful way to spend a beautiful afternoon. I took lots of pictures of all the beautiful flowers, and you can see some of them below!
The week also started out with a bang thanks to Halloween. I spent last Sunday filling 100 bags of candy, which brought my final total up to 200 bags. Halloween night was fun, and we passed out all the candy in record time. There were so many kids. I definitely underestimated how popular our neighborhood is with trick or treaters. I don’t know if I’ll do treat bags again once the pandemic is over, but, if I do, I will be doing way more than 200 of them. There were so many cute costumes, but the most popular this year were Wonder Woman and Iron Man, at least of the ones we saw.
And, of course, I cannot avoid talking about the long-awaited return of Doctor Who. I enjoyed the episode for the most part. It was a little bit all over the place, but it felt more like the Doctor Who of previous Doctors with plenty of monsters and silliness all while battling universe-ending baddies. Most of this era has felt more serious in tone to me, which I’ve enjoyed, but it was nice to experience something with a bit more fun and epic feeling even if it wasn’t perfectly executed.
As I mentioned earlier, I visited three book shops this week. So, naturally that means lots of book purchases. I picked up a couple new releases I’ve been looking forward to, A Marvellous Light and Skin of the Sea. I also found a book from my TBR, Dark Age, for a really great price at a used book shop. The third shop we went to, also a used book shop, had a ton of thriller novels for pretty cheap. I haven’t read many novels from this genre recently, but I used to read them all the time when I was younger. I particularly enjoy thrillers that include secret histories or secret societies, which I’m sure you can tell from the choices I selected. lol.
Comic Book Acquisitions & Reading Progress
I didn’t make it to the comic store this week, but I did order some digital comics. This week was incredibly light. I only picked up two Star Wars comics this week. I’m sure my backlog is thanking me.
As for reading comics, I didn’t read anything this week other than the two Eternals comics I reviewed on Wednesday. My plan for this coming week is to try to catch up on some Daredevil.
This was another pretty slow reading week for me because of everything that has been going on. I finished reading A Marvellous Light, which I enjoyed a lot. I also read The Prison Healer so I could get it back to the library. I’ve started Severed Souls, and I’m really not feeling it so far…but I’m going to finish it because I’m too emotionally invested in this series to give up now. Hopefully, next week will be quieter, and I’ll be able to make more progress on my TBR for the month.
Blog Posts & Book Reviews
Despite everything else going on, I once again managed to post every day this week! I’ve made it to 40 days in a row of posting new content. My posts from the last week are listed below:
- Weekly Wrap-Up – October 30, 2021 – This post is my weekly wrap-up from last Saturday. Check it out, if you haven’t already, to see my updates from last week.
- Monthly Wrap-Up – October 2021 – This post highlights all of my posts, reads, and other progress from the month of October.
- TBR: November 2021 Reading List – This post details my reading plans for the month of November.
- Mini Review – A Marvellous Light – This mini review gives my thoughts on this wonderfully queer historical fantasy/romance. It was just published this week. So, run out and get it if it sounds like something you’d like!
- Comic Book Recap & Review – Eternals One-Shots (2021) – This post recaps and reviews two recent Eternals stories that provided a good overview of the history of this group.
- Mini Review – Jade City – I loved this book! Check out this mini review to find out why I thought it deserved 5 stars!
- First Lines Fridays #30 – This post provides the first lines of a book and asks you to guess, and judge, the book by those lines. Check it out to see if you can guess the book.
There you have it! Another weekly wrap-up. I love reading wrap-up posts. So, if you’ve got one for this week, please leave a link to it in the comments, and I’ll stop by and check it out.