Happy Saturday, everyone! We’ve reached the end of another week. I hope it has gone well for you all. Today I’ll once again be wrapping up my my reading progress, progress on my bookish goals/challenges, and my blog posts from the past week.
It has been a pretty slow reading week for me, and I feel like I’m in a bit of a reading slump. I was able to finish Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and Engines of Empire, though. I enjoyed both of them quite a bit, and they were both solid four star reads. I also finished Star Wars: The High Republic: The Fallen Star today. I have mixed feelings about it, which I’ll talk more about in my review available on Monday. I also started reading The Fifth Season. I decided to switch the format to audio so that I can listen to it at times I’m unable to sit and read. Hopefully, this will free up enough reading time to get through all my commitments for this month because I’ve got a lot of ARCs and blog tours coming up.
I have seven major goals I’d like to meet this year when it comes to books and blogging about books. I’ve made some progress on several of them this week:
My goal for the year is to read 100 books. So far, I’m continuing to be on track. This week, I’ve finished three more books and started a fourth, which brings my total up to 5 books for the year.
I’d like to end the year with at least 50 reviews completed for NetGalley and a ratio of at least 80%. I’ve made a little progress on this in the last week by completing my 28th review. My ratio hasn’t really gone up since last week, though, because I’ve also gotten some approvals. You can see the complete state of my NetGalley shelf tomorrow in my NetGalley check-in post. So, keep an eye out!
Read More Nonfiction
I haven’t made any progress on this yet, but I still plan to start reading A Tour of French History soon.
Collect Some Badges
I’ve collected two badges so far. I changed my mind about not using The Beholden from last week and decided to use it to claim the Undead Badge. I’m not a huge fan of zombie stories. While The Beholden didn’t have zombies per se, it did have undead characters, which fit for this badge. Since it is possible I won’t read anything else with undead characters this year since they’re not really my favorite thing, I decided to go ahead and collect the badge. I also collected the Epic Fantasy Badge when I finished reading Engines of Empire.
Read More Comics
I’ve set the goal of reading all the comics I buy during the week I buy them. I can’t believe it, but I actually did it this week. I read all eight of the comics I bought last week, which was quite the accomplishment because it required me to read many back issues as well to catch up on some books. In total, I read 28 comic issues in the past week, which I’m really happy about. My favorites were the newest run of Shang-Chi and The Marvels. If you haven’t read them, be sure to check them out!
I’m trying to focus on having a majority of the books I read this year be books I bought, borrowed, or received prior to January 1, 2022. I’m still doing good so far. All but one of the books I have read and am currently reading fall into this category.
Finish Some Series
I plan to finish or catch up on the following 5 series by the end of this year:
- The Broken Earth by N.K. Jemisin
- Arthurian Saga by Mary Stewart
- The Extraordinaries by TJ Klune
- Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling
- A shit ton of different Shadowhunters books by Cassandra Clare
I finished book seven of Harry Potter! Some would consider that completing the series, but I’m an obsessive completionist. So, I won’t be satisfied until I’ve read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Hopefully, I’ll get to it soon. I also started The Fifth Season on audio and am enjoying re-reading it so far.
Blog Posts & Book Reviews
All the new stuff from the last week is listed below:
- Weekly Wrap-Up – January 8, 2022 – In case you missed it last week, here’s the weekly wrap-up from then that highlights all my posts and progress from the previous week.
- Book Review – Before We Disappear – This post highlights my thoughts on Before We Disappear by Shaun David Hutchinson. The book was nothing like I expected, but it still had an enjoyable love story in it despite its flaws.
- Top 5 Tuesday – Top 5 Anticipated Reads for Jan-Mar 2022 – I participated in another Top 5 Tuesday this week, which highlighted my top 5 anticipated reads for the first quarter of 2022.
- ARC Review – Engines of Empire – This review highlights my thoughts about Engines of Empire by R.S. Ford. I enjoyed this fast-paced, epic fantasy quite a bit and gave it 4 stars.
- First Lines Fridays #37 – This post gives the first lines of a book and asks you to guess and judge the book by how it begins. Check it out to see if you can guess the book, which I’ll be starting soon.
As always, I love reading wrap-up posts. So, if you’ve got one for this week, please leave a link to it in the comments, and I’ll stop by and check it out.